Pawna lake is one of the popular tourist destination in Maharashtra. It is popular not only for its view but also due to some historic nearby places. Below is a list of top six places to visit around Pawna lake. Also at the end of the article, we will help you to plan a day and make the most of it. Also find some excluded attractions and the reason for exclusion at the end of the article. We will also tell you best restaurant to have launch around Pawna lake.
1. Dinosaurs park, Lonavala
Rating : 3.8/5, Private property, Ticket price : ~248 Rs per person (Price may change)
While the mystery around existence of Dinosaurs has been conclusively Resolved!
Experience a mini-Jurassic park in the Lonavala! Spread over 6.5 acres. No age limit, the children’s above 3 years are chargable. There are animatronic Dinosaurs, games and events themed around dinosaurs. There are restaurants and merchandise shops so that hunger pangs can be satiated. Outside food is not allowed.
This place is interesting for children, adult may not like it. Google map rating is poor. Guests are mainly complaining about value for money and quality of dinosaurs structures.
2. Lohagad - Visapur fort
Rating : 4.6/5, Government property, Ticket price : Free
It is one of the many hill forts of Maharashtra. It rises to an elevation of 1033 m (3389 ft) above sea level. The fort is connected to the neighboring Visapur fort by a small range.
The range divides basins of the Indrayani and Pavana lake or Pawna lake. Lohagad overlooks the Pawna or Pavana reservoir.
It has an elevation of 1084 m above sea level. It is built on the same plateau as Lohagad. Within the fort are caves, cisterns of water, Decorated arch and old houses. There are many well built by Pandavas. It is one of the easiest trekking place near Pawna Lake.
Though Lohagad and Visapur forts are nearby, only experienced trekkers can cover both the fort in a day. A newbie trekker may get tired after completing trek of one fort. Newbies are advised to select one fort from Lohagad and Visapur in a day-plan.
3. Dudhiware waterfall
Rating : 4.7/5, Public property, Ticket price : Free
It is very near to Pawna Lake. The height of waterfall is 135 feet. It is very famous location for waterfall rappelling, zip-line and valley crossing.
One can experience the thrilling adventure there. The view of waterfall is amazing and milky. If you want book day adventure at Dudhiware waterfall rappelling click here
You are not advised to visit this place when its heavy rain.
4. Prati pandharpur
Rating : 4.3/5, Private property, Ticket price : Free
Prati- Pandharpur is being constructed to give the same look and feel of Pandharpur by Baba Maharaj Satarkar who is a famous speaker on Dnyaneshwari. It is located in Dudhiware village near Pawna Dam. There is a beautiful garden in front of the temple. The climate is very pleasant. The place is surrounded by lush green forest. And also it is an excellent place for the meditation.
5. Tikona fort (वितंडगड)
Rating : 4.5/5, Government property, Ticket price : Free
It is also known as Vatandgad. It has an elevation of 3500ft. It is pyramidal in shape and the name Tikona means triangular. There is the temple of Trembakeshwar Mahadev, seven water tanks and some satvahan caves. There is a beautiful view of Pawna Lake from the fort.
6. Tung fort (कठीणगड)
Rating : 4.6/5, Government property, Ticket price : Free
It is also Known as Kathingad fort. It has an elevation of 1075m above sea level. The word Kathin means difficult. While climbing difficult Challenge of reaching this fort. The fort is conical and has steep climbs with a a very narrow route on the edge of the mountain throughout. It is very near from the Pawna Dam. Its Sharp, Conical Peak makes Tung fort important landmark.
You are not advised to do Tung fort trek in monsoon time. It is very risky to reach top of fort in monsoon. You can go to Tikona fort for intermediate and Lohagad-visapur for easy expedition.
Make the most of it !
Well ! This 6 places are the most popular places around Pawna lake. Obviously you can’t visit all places in a single day. So you have to choose some of them as per your interest.
So lets create a menu! A basic thing is that you have to include only one fort and few places.
Here are some combinations :
1) Lohagad fort + Prati pandharpur + Dudhiware waterfall
2) Visapur fort + Prati pandharpur + Dudhiware waterfall
3) Tikona fort + Prati pandharpur + Dudhiware waterfall
4) Tung fort + Other points in Lonavala (You are not advised visit Dudhiware waterfall or Prati pandharpur after Tung fort trek, because these places are far away from Tung fort.
Bhaiya aur kuchh !
We have excluded some places from the big list to tell you the best 6 places only. We will tell you excluded places and the reason for exclusion as well.
1. Bhaja caves (See on map – Away from lake but near to Visapur fort)
2. Bedse caves (See on map – Away from lake but by the road if you are coming via Kamshet – Pawna road)
3. Hadshi temple of satya sai baba (See on map – Away from lake but by the road if you are coming via Paud road from Pune)
4. Old Wagheshwar temple (See on map – This place is mostly underwater throughout the year. It is reachable in summer time only when water level of Pawna lake is low. Camp L and Camp F of Pawnacamp.com are the near to Wagheshwar temple.
Best places to have food at Pawna lake.
1. The oven (See on map – Antique, feels reach, Near to Lohagad fort and Dudhiware waterfall, Rating 4.2/5)
2. Lohagad restaurant (See on map – Lake-touch, Acess to lake, Rating 4.2/5)
3. Shree Swami Samarth Family Restaurant (See on map – Best for spicy Maharashtrian food, Lake-view, Acess to lake on 50m, Cleanliness below average, Rating 4.1/5)
We hope that you got all the information to plan a trip around Pawna lake. If you want to do overnight camping on the edge of Pawna lake then call or WhatsApp us on 838 100 4848 or 983 412 2218 or Book now here. Please comment and ask your questions.
Article by Dinesh Bodke and Akshay dadapure